Our exhausts have earned praise from owners and the press alike, due to their unique "Jekyll and Hyde" personality. We spend considerable time and effort during development to achieve remarkable civility when idling and cruising at part throttle, while also producing a war-cry wail when full throttle is applied. Sophisticated, refined, and powerful, all at once.
Turning good into great
The factory exhaust on the GLI consists of a long downpipe, with two catalytic converters, and two rather large mufflers in the section after the cats. We fixed that.
- Fully mandrel bent tubing
- Available with Chrome Silver or Diamond Black Finishes
- Thick .065" wall T304 stainless steel tubing
- Fully lined stainless steel flex joint in downpipe
- Stainless steel internal muffler and resonator construction
- Stainless steel MIG and TIG welds
- Stainless steel T-bolt clamps
- Double walled exhaust tips to reduce heat discoloration
- Included OEM turbo to downpipe gasket
- In house dyno developed and tested
- No CEL - Guaranteed
- Featuring the AWE Lifetime Exhaust Warranty (one year on downpipe catalyst and exhaust tips)
The downpipe features an integrated resonator to keep the exhaust sound volume civilized even with the elimination of the very restrictive factory converters. Our downpipe is the first performance downpipe to be released that will not trigger a Check Engine Light on TSI 2.0T cars, even on factory software.
Similarly, The Track Edition Exhaust replaces the factory exhaust and includes a straight through resonator, but to allow a more aggressive exhaust tone, the Track Edition does not include the rear resonator.
Important fitment notes
Have a 2013 GLI? Be sure to check your engine code (here's how) to ensure correct fitment on your vehicle. Certain engine types feature different downpipe fitments, so let’s be sure this will fit yours.
Why did we choose 2.5 inch and not 3.0 inch diameter for our MK6 exhaust?
Our first 2.0T exhaust prototypes were indeed 3.0 inch, but we found that the effort it took to move the large mass of air in the 3.0 inch system at lower rpms resulted in a loss of torque with very little offsetting gain up top. Take a look at our 3.0 inch prototype dyno sheets here and see why a 3.0 inch system is not appropriate for this car.
Please note that due to the use of high flow catalytic converters, our downpipe section is for racing use only.